(HealthDay)—While there isn’t any positive means to keep away from lung cancer, there are steps you’ll be able to take to scale back your risk.
Smoking contributes to 80 to 90 % of lung cancer deaths, in accordance to the American Lung Association.
Men who smoke have a 23 occasions elevated risk of lung cancer. And publicity to secondhand smoke causes roughly 7,330 lung cancer deaths amongst nonsmokers within the United States yearly.
So, in case you’ve by no means smoked, do not begin. If you do smoke, attempt to quit. Talk to your physician about strategies and aids to allow you to quit. These embrace nicotine replacement products, drugs and support groups, in accordance to UPMC Pinnacle, a part of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center well being care system.
- Set a quit date to solidify your dedication to quitting. Make it a big date, resembling a birthday or anniversary.
- Prepare for your quit day by eliminating all tobacco merchandise from your residence, automotive and office. Think about issues you are able to do to take your thoughts off smoking in the course of the first month, when your risk of relapse is excessive.
- Give your self every day reminders about why you need to quit.
- Create a help system. Find a good friend who additionally needs to quit smoking. If that is not attainable, ask household and buddies to assist hold you on monitor. Support teams are an alternative choice.
- If you are a nonsmoker, keep away from secondhand smoke. If you reside or work with people who smoke, encourage them to quit. If they can not quit, ask them to smoke outdoors. Avoid areas the place individuals smoke and ask to be seated within the nonsmoking part if you go to eating places and bars.
- Have your residence checked periodically for seepage of radon fuel, particularly for those who stay in an space the place radon is a recognized drawback. Your native public well being division or native chapter of the American Lung Association can present extra info on radon testing.
- Avoid recognized carcinogens. If you’re employed round cancer-causing supplies, take measures to shield your self and comply with your employer’s posted precautions. For instance, in case you’re given a face masks, put on it. It’s additionally a good suggestion to speak to your physician about how to shield your self at work.
- Eat loads of fruit and veggies. That’s much better than taking giant doses of vitamin drugs, which may do extra hurt than good.
- Get common train. If you have not been lively, begin slowly.
- Get lung cancer screenings. That’s particularly necessary in case you’re at excessive risk. That consists of individuals ages 55-79 who’ve smoked the equal of 1 pack every day for 30 years. Also included: individuals 55-79 who’ve smoked the equal of 1 pack day by day for 20 years and who’ve one further risk issue, together with radon or asbestos publicity, cancer historical past, robust household historical past of lung cancer, vital secondhand smoke exposure, continual obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or pulmonary fibrosis.
A cough that won’t quit—is it lung cancer?
The U.S. National Cancer Institute has extra on lung cancer.